Monday, July 21, 2008

Chapter 7 Reflections

This post will have a negative tone but I have hope behind the scenes. Most of us in the education field work to give opportunities to our students and communities in order for them to reach their potential and enjoy the learning process. We want the best for them. It has always stunned me that there are people working toward exactly the opposite goal I am. We may think we are being as proactive as possible in setting policies, activating filters but there are others who are already ahead of us by two steps. Our number one focus is educating students. That is no longer just the 3 R's but also includes social and emotional well being, computer skills and internet safety, citizenship, and on and on. The list is endless. The number one focus for some is creating empowering and collaborating features on the internet for people to demonstrate their learning. The number one focus for others is how to victimize and many others as possible while their distracted. The concerns are just enormous.

I was reminded to find out which teachers actually go over the Acceptable Use Policy and what it means. Generally, students and parents sign it at registration, it is put in a file and then we never see it again. I certainly havn't looked at it myself in years. I have no idea whether or not some of the web publishing issues have been addressed in an updated version or not. I especially liked the following excerpt from Pg. 145 that should be considered for inclusion in any updated AUP:
Briefly but clearly identify those activities that will not be allowed. These might include conducting business, advertising commercial products or services, defaming the character of others, and jeopardizing in any way the safety of students.

Flickr: I'm assuming ASD blocks Flickr. If they don't I'm pretty surprised. I wasn't looking for inappropriate content but it certainly found me. I would not encourage elementary teachers to give students access if it is not blocked but I would encourage them to download photos themselves for classroom projects.

The authors themselves acknowledge how challenging understanding Copyright can be. I have learned during the last 7 years of trying to educate young internet users that there is a long way to go in the education process but it is critical that the campaign be waged in the public along with the schools. Elementary students are just following examples set at home. The students I work with don't want to participate in illegal activity, they are genuinely shocked to learn what they and their family does is illegal. They are alarmed and don't know if their parents are violating copyright knowingly or not. It is my obligation to continue to try to clarify what is legal and ethical for my students but it would be nice if there were simultaneous campaigns with the public.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Good point on the Acceptable Use policy. We should all review what ours say and perhaps recommend revisions as well as adhering to what they say until changes are enacted. I'm guessing many are not keeping up with the changes in internet use prompted by Web 2.0 features.