Sunday, July 20, 2008

Week 7 Thing 16

As with many things on the net, my frustrations with wiki's come when they are not updated or removed when they become dated. I don't think it's necessary for the Princeton public library to leave their books reviews from a summer book group from more than a year ago. If the reviews are good, couldn't they add them to a different page about reviews and eliminate the old summer book club link? As I searched through several of these wiki's, it becomes necessary to sift through the items are still valid and those that are not (net searching tip sheets from 2005 or before). I don't feel it necessary to leave an active archive on the net for the world to see, but then again, I don't like to journal my life and activities to be unearthed after I'm gone either. I also understand that the types that are creating the info on the net probably have a difficult time tracking the volumes out there.

On the positive side, I believe it is the easiest jump for some of us to provide access to resources to our institutions. I took two different web page design classes and never did feel ready or capable of managing it on an on going basis. My encounter with HTML made my jaw drop and I had flashbacks to my confused state during library cataloging class. I had one introduction to wiki creation and management a year ago and sighed with relief because I knew this was doable for me with my limited skill set and allowed me to meet a professional obligation for dissemination of information and resources.

Because I don't normally jump from wiki to wiki evaluating them but use one at time when needed, I didn't realize how truly bland they are to look at when used in succession. Like most, I guess I have become accustomed to the colorful, graphic rich web sites that are out there that I complain about because you have to sort through all those fabulous features to get to the content desired. Geez, I'm never happy!

For my application in an elementary library, a closed classroom project wiki makes a great deal of sense. It is an authentic beginning step for youthful users where ethics and protocols can be shared while content is being delivered and standards demonstrated. Also, link pathways for particular class projects is a suitable use. I think it is a reasonable place for students to post their ideas for Battle of the Books questions.

No comments: