Sunday, July 20, 2008

Week 8 Thing 18

I did check out Zoho Writer, created something and then "shared" it with my teen. Yet again, I find myself viewing these applications through her eyes or at least my view of her experiences while trying to meet requirements of classes. Students are often given group projects to be completed outside of class. My daughter is forever running in to difficulties with formatting issues with classmates computers and email issues as they try to email documents back and forth. One makes changes, another makes changes and then they all try to edit the "master" copy down. Sometime she takes documents from her mac at home on her jump drive to school only to encounter formatting issues when they use the DELL lab that day. Web based document services gets people away from some of these difficulties. If one is to be working on the text and one is to be locating the images, they can do that and lay it in to the document as it is located.

I am curious as to whether ASD's filter would let zoho through? Anyone know?

The tool bars are acheiveable to anyone who has used word processing programs. In fact, most of the icons look exactly the same. I am willing to leave a "library" of documents online but would also back up to my computer when document is finalized.

I can't help but think with the ubiquitous nature of Google that one might be better served with using Google Docs. Much of the planet is already familiar with google, many have a g mail acct. With the resources behind google, I can't help think that it will become a well supported and easy to use feature very quickly. I know, I just helped Google continue on their path to world domination.
PS - I love free stuff!!

Overall an easy way to coauthor something with someone without a lot of the difficulties.

No comments: