Friday, July 11, 2008

Week 4 #9

Clearly the only way for me to add RSS feeds is not to actively search but to just add to my list as I come across useful things in my daily activities. Searching for things only leads me to things I didn't know existed and didn't NEED to know existed. I ended up traveling all over the place pointlessly. I added feeds for NPR news, some library stuff, some comics, etc.



As Oprah would say, this I know for sure: I don't want to RSS blogs (except maybe Valenza or Lesesne, maybe) , I'll RSS news, articles, podcasts, etc. I don't want to get a bunch of blogs to read through and then feel compelled to read the comments as well. It isn't even that I don't have time, I just don't want to give the time to people's thoughts unless I know them already. There can't possibly be enough value added to justify the time I'd spend scrolling through all those blogs. Don't worry, I really DO know exactly how crabby I'm coming across. I can live with it - it's the endless string of blogs I CAN'T live with.

Searching through Technorati drove me nuts, ads everythwhere and too many clicks to get anywhere.
I was more inclined to be interested in Topix. There still seemed to be a great deal to sort through though and strangely, one of the stories I clicked on to read more about could not be found and the site suggested it might be because it was more than 30 days old. It was on the front page of the Top Stories tab. Could have been a fluke I suppose. Still a large number of ads to look beyond. I could tell it would take me a bit of time to learn how to navigate that site and automatically filter out all the side stuff.

I went to bed, slept fine, woke up and blogs STILL bug the hoo ha out of me. I'm guessing this feeling is here to stay. In this case it should come as no surprise that Blogs Pulse - Conversation Tracker not only fails to interest me but also fails to enter my realm of comprehension. Can someone please share with me why I might care to follow a dialogue of opinions in this fashion?

2 comments:

Hanging out in the 800's said...

Yes, I can relate to your comments on Blogs.

It still astonishes me that people can blog for countless words about "Why thumbtacks should only come in Red." And they try to direct you to their blogs from other locations. Some people really overestimate my interest in their opinions...

Still I can see the value of Blogs either for family/friends only, or very specific topics - like this blog.

To that end - people should be advised to stay focused in blogs. One library blog I visited looked promising until it digressed into some surgery she had. Hey, set up a new blog for that. Unless I'm your friend I really don't want to know and I don't have time to weed through the irrelevant to find something valuable.

Robin Turk said...

Yes, I agree with both of you to a certain point. I do get frustrated with general spewing or not staying on topic. (something for me to remember about my writing!)

I do, however, get a lot out of some education/library blogs. Will Richardson still remains a good read. I always learn something new when I stop by there.

It all depends on your purpose for reading or information seeking...